As per the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP), bullying is nothing but the most common form of violence. Their report stated:
- Around 30% of the students were either identified as bullying victims or aggressors in the United States.
- About 25% of the million students on an average while attending schools were reported to have been subject to physical encounters.
Another report stated:
- Bullying is one of the primary causes of making students stay away from attending schools on a daily basis.
- On an average, around 160000 students were found to be staying at home instead of coming to schools.
- A lot of students for getting bullied were found to acquire bad health conditions, lose motivation and suffer from depression. Some even went on to opt for social isolation.
Distance learning is a wise suggestion, says experts
Taking such unpleasant facts into consideration, many experts have suggested that an online school can act as a safe and an ideal platform that will help students keep distance from objectionable activities like bullying. Michael Lambert, the Executive Director of the Distance Education and Training Council, said that it has been really wise for many parents to keep their sons at home for studying. In fact, a lot of parents have now understood why, where and how online or distance learning can help their child build good careers.
According to Leslie Gargiulo, who is working as the Vice President of Education at James Madison High School and Ashworth College, one of the most affordable and effective ways to obtain quality education is to attend an online high school. He also said that one can even earn a diploma with absolute safety and convenience at home.
As per survey reports from the Office of National Statistics:
- Out of 50 suicide cases, 26 have been found responsible for bullying
- Children who commit suicide usually fall in the age range between 10 to 14 years
- The percentage of girls committing suicide was found to be more in comparison to boys
Since online schooling can be a wise strategy to stop bullying and their pathetic consequences, here are a few ways that will tell you how distance learning can act as wise solution for bullying:
Comfort - Enrolling in an online course under an accredited university will help one to study with peace at home.
Communication – Since physical attendance will not be a compulsion, students will be able to interact with their instructors through webcams from any corner of the world.
Motivation – The curriculums for online school programmes are designed in such a manner that can help students concentrate on their lessons. In fact, this would help one stay motivated as much as possible.
So, don’t you think that studying in an online school can keep students away from falling prey to bullying? Of course, positive results would be achieved and students would also be able to ensure safety for them. That’s a promise.