Previously the girls would have to put up with such intolerable behaviour; but as days passed by, situations turned worse for them. They became fed up with the boys revealing vulgarity through actions such as “pants on show, white socks, bad language or too much use of deodorant”.
The etiquette lesson which was designed keeping the girls’ feedback in mind was actually taught to thirty boys. The etiquettes covered the following;
· Personal grooming- shaving, stubble rash avoidance, reasons for ladies to dislike Lynx
· Knight’s Code of Chivalry- a starter lesson for being chivalrous
· Public speaking- Orating a speech at a public event
· Tailoring- Working on a perfect dressing sense, choosing an appropriate suit, what matches with what
· Fine dining etiquettes- seeking the right stance to make the perfect impression
· Around the house- How ladies can do what men can (keeping a check on tyre pressure, setting up a DVD/WiFi, changing the plug, plumbing a sink)
Student like Jake Law have actively participated in the programme as it helped each of them avail the opportunity of improving upon their personality.
The self-improvement lessons have helped these male students understand their female peers better. In fact Law, has personally said that the lesson has helped him check on the language he uses and the small things that can make a big difference in the life of others.
Mike Shakespear, another student from the Fowey Community College has added that the etiquette class has taught him how best to behave with a lady; and the proper way of talking to her. Furthermore he has also said that the lesson has taught him to restrict from using fowl language.
Samantha Munroe, the head teacher of the Mathematics department is responsible for conceiving such a noble idea. She was inspired by a 2011 fashion show.
While the girls were struggling to walk with their high heels on, they had once asked the school teachers to provide them pointers. It was only then that the higher authorities had come up with a fortnightly off-the-curriculum activity for girls. After conducting a couple of these off-the-track activities, the boys had approached Samantha Munroe to offer them a similar kind of course. The boys’ lesson was mainly designed to focus on key areas of maintaining etiquettes while approaching a lady.